The senior leadership of the Chinese government increasingly views the competition between the United States and China as a zero-sum game, with China the likely long-range winner if the American economy and domestic political system continue to stumble, according to an influential Chinese policy analyst.
China views the United States as a declining power, but at the same time believes that Washington is trying to fight back to undermine, and even disrupt, the economic and military growth that point to China’s becoming the world’s most powerful country, according to the analyst, Wang Jisi, the co-author of “Addressing U.S.-China Strategic Distrust,” a monograph published this week by the Brookings Institution in Washington and the Center for International and Strategic Studies at Peking University.
Mr. Wang, who has an insider’s view of Chinese foreign policy from his positions on advisory boards of the Chinese Communist Party and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, contributed an assessment of Chinese policy toward the United States. Kenneth Lieberthal, the director of the John L. Thornton China Center at Brookings, and a former member of the National Security Council under President Bill Clinton, wrote the appraisal of Washington’s attitude toward China.
In a joint conclusion, the authors say the level of strategic distrust between the two countries has become so corrosive that if not corrected the two countries risk becoming open antagonists.
The United States is no longer seen as “that awesome, nor is it trustworthy, and its example to the world and admonitions to China should therefore be much discounted,” Mr. Wang writes of the general view of China’s leadership.
In contrast, China has mounting self-confidence in its own economic and military strides, particularly the closing power gap since the start of the Iraq war. In 2003, he argues, America’s gross domestic product was eight times as large as China’s, but today it is less than three times as large.
- octobriana reblogged this from socialuprooting
- risasaurusrex likes this
- cosmic-kemet reblogged this from aotc and added:
- allknowledgeispower reblogged this from aotc and added:
- cosmic-kemet likes this
- cro-magno likes this
- madame-chatie reblogged this from mutualassureddistraction
- homosexicle likes this
- project-argus likes this
- mutualassureddistraction reblogged this from socialuprooting
- ideoclast reblogged this from socialuprooting
- thestapler327 reblogged this from cdoring
- cdoring reblogged this from socialuprooting
- multipliedbyzero reblogged this from socialuprooting
- jcabaccang likes this
- bearewhyayeen likes this
- verbalresistance likes this
- jayaprada likes this
- effexordreams reblogged this from paradoxicalparadigms
- chenhealy likes this
- lonelyvagabond likes this
- inspirement reblogged this from socialuprooting
- ah-thenah likes this
- radiuss likes this
- mvrkns likes this
- fariyah likes this
- this-is-somestuff reblogged this from socialuprooting
- mudvillemosaek reblogged this from socialuprooting and added:
- mudvillemosaek likes this
- aotc reblogged this from socialuprooting and added:
- child-of-the-universe likes this
- paradoxicalparadigms reblogged this from socialuprooting
- paradoxicalparadigms likes this
- vinteren-kommer reblogged this from socialuprooting
- ataxiwardance likes this
- psyphi-noetics likes this
- unsteadyimpressions reblogged this from socialuprooting
- lookingforafuntime likes this
- elusivemusings likes this